Palms pair beautifully with lavender, when used judiciously it create an enhanced favor that is slightly floral.
Your guests may try to guess what the other flavor is in the crisp without thinking they’re eating their grandmother’s soap.
For the streusel topping:
¾ cup (102 g) whole wheat flour
½ cup (1 stick; 113 g) unsalted butter, cold
½ cup (109 g) brown sugar
½ cup (50 g) rolled oats
For the fruit filling:
- 10 to 12 medium (about 2 pounds or 908 g) plums
- ¼ cup (34 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (55 g) brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ vanilla bean, split and scraped, or ¼ teaspoon ground vanilla bean, or ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- 2 teaspoons ground lavender buds
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. To make the streusel topping, combine the flour, butter, sugar, and oats in a medium bowl. With your hands, work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture clumps. The butter should be completely worked in and the mixture should be moist. Set aside.
3. To make the fruit filling, cut the plums into ¼-inch-thick slices. You should have about 5 cups of sliced plums. Combine the plums and the remaining filling ingredients in an enormous bowl and toss to coat. Transfer the fruit mixture to a 2-quart baking dish.
4. Spread the streusel topping evenly over the fruit. Bake the crisp at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the fruit bubbles and the topping is browned. (If the topping browns too quickly, place a sizeable piece of foil loosely on top to shield it from direct heat. Do not tuck in the foil.)
5. Serve the crisp warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.