Potatoes au Gratin (Dauphinoise) | RecipeTin Eats,
Potatoes au Gratin – neglect scalloped potatoes, THIS is the creme de la creme of all potato recipes!! Also called Dauphinoise Potatoes, this French traditional is made with layers upon layers of finely sliced potatoes, cream, butter and cheese with a touch of contemporary thyme.
Tailored from a Julia Youngster’s recipe, that is luxurious and completely indulgent. Bonus: It’s the final make forward potato facet dish!
Potatoes au Gratin
Potatoes au Gratin? Or Scalloped Potatoes?
In case you’re questioning what the distinction is between Scalloped Potatoes and Au Gratin Potatoes, scalloped potatoes are made with a flour-butter-milk roux, whereas Potatoes au Gratin are made with 100% indulgence: cream, butter and cheese.
So I ask you once more: Potatoes au Gratin? Or Scalloped Potatoes?
There’s no contest. Cream trumps flour Each. Single. Day. 😂
Potatoes au Gratin for the win!!!
All of the important meals teams current
I used to be going to say that it’s fairly outstanding how so few substances could make one thing so luxurious. However the actuality is, it’s fairly onerous to go incorrect when potatoes, cream, butter and cheese are concerned.
We’re working with all the great things right this moment!
Finest sort of potatoes for au gratin
That is the kind of potato dish the place we would like the potatoes to breakdown and develop into beautiful and tender beneath that golden tacky crust, so we have to guarantee we use starchy potatoes. Australia – I exploit Sebago (these filth brushed potatoes). America – Russet is ideal, and for these of you within the UK, King Edward or Maris Piper are excellent. Or every other starchy potatoes – Dutch lotions, King Edwards or crimson delight.
To be trustworthy, so long as you don’t use a waxy potato then it’s going to work nice – I’ve used all kinds over time. Waxy potatoes are the type used for potato salads and if utilized in Potatoes au Gratin, the layers kind of slip aside and also you’ll have paper-thin-potato UFO’s flying far and wide.
Been there, executed that. Not good, my pals.
Methods to make potatoes au gratin
Thinly sliced potato is layered with a cream-butter-garlic combination, sprinkled with thyme and the obligatory cheese in each layer. Bake coated for 75 minutes (sure actually, it takes that lengthy), then uncovered simply to make the cheese on prime beautiful and golden.
Whereas it may appear formidable to thinly slice 1 kg / 2 lb of potatoes, that is the kind of job the place you’ll shortly get right into a rhythm. By the third potato, you’ll be slicing like a professional!
Although having stated that, a mandolin will make quick work of it….
I’m but to fulfill a type of potato I don’t like. And of all of the methods to cook dinner potato, that is my favorite.
Positive, typically I stray and get excited by my newest obsession – like Extremely Crispy Smashed Potatoes, and Parmesan Crusted Potatoes.
However Potatoes au Gratin are a traditional that I’ll love endlessly and ever. First made utilizing Julie Youngster’s recipe which then advanced barely over time to what it’s right this moment. A barely extra streamlined meeting course of, the addition of garlic and… I upped the cheese.
Do you assume Julia would approve?? 😂 – Nagi x
Watch the best way to make it
Hungry for extra? Subscribe to my e-newsletter and observe alongside on Fb, Pinterest and Instagram for the entire newest updates.
Potatoes au Gratin
Prep: 15 minutes
Prepare dinner: 1 hr 30 minutes
Whole: 1 hr 45 minutes
Servings8 – 10 individuals
Faucet or hover to scale
Cream Combination: Place butter, cream and garlic in a jug. Combine till mixed.
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
Slice potatoes: Peel the potatoes and slice them 1/8″/3 mm thick. Or use a slicer!
Layer 1: Unfold 1/3 of the potatoes in a baking dish (Notice 3), then pour over 1/3 of the Cream Combination, scatter with 1/3 of the salt, pepper and thyme. Sprinkle with 3/4 cups cheese.
Layers 2 & 3: Repeat for the 2nd and third layer, however don’t end with cheese on the highest layer (will add later).
Cowl & bake: Cowl with lid or foil, and bake for 1 hr 15 min or till the potatoes within the center are tender (use knife to check).
High with cheese, bake once more: Take away foil, prime with cheese. Bake for an extra 10 to fifteen minutes till golden and bubbly. Stand 5 minutes earlier than serving.
For a lighter model, use gentle fats, or half and half (or use 1/2 cream, half milk). Nevertheless it gained’t have the identical wealthy mouthfeel. Don’t do this with simply milk.
2. Potatoes – Australia: Use Sebago (“filth” potatoes, offered in every single place), US: Russet, UK: King Edward or Maris Piper
OR every other starchy potatoes. Dutch lotions, King Edwards or crimson delight. Nice all rounders like golden delight, coliban and crimson rascal are additionally nice.
3. Cheese – Gruyere is one of the best because it supplies flavour and browns superbly on prime. Julia Childs makes use of gruyere. It’s fairly costly so for on a regular basis functions, mozzarella is an thought different however should you do, add an additional pinch of salt on every layer.
Another melting cheese may also work nice – Monterey Jack, cheddar and attractive are all cheeses I’ve used and love.
At all times finest to grate your personal because it melts higher – retailer purchased pre shredded has anti caking agent which prevents cheese melting in addition to it ought to.
4. Baking Dish Measurement – I exploit a 1.5L / 1.5 Qt / 6 cup, 18 x 26 cm x 5 cm / 7 x 11 x 2″ oval form, or thereabouts but it surely’s full to the brim so a barely bigger one can be extra best. A 26 cm / 11″ skillet additionally works nice. A 20cm/8″ sq. pan is too small. Bigger dish is ok – simply means the potatoes au gratin isn’t as deep
5. Make forward: Close to excellent for make forward! The easiest way (in my expertise) is maintain again about 1/2 cup of the cream combination. Bake coated in foil, then cool with foil on. Pour over reserved cream, prime with cheese, cowl with cling wrap. Refrigerate. Take away from fridge 1 hour earlier than, reheat coated in foil in a 180C/350F oven for 20 – 30 min or till scorching, then take away foil and bake till cheese is golden. To hurry issues up you’ll be able to microwave it then pop it within the oven (that is dense so takes fairly some time to reheat within the oven, is dependent upon depth of baking dish you employ).
6. Supply: Tailored from Julia Youngster’s Dauphinoise Potatoes recipe. Hers is barely extra fiddly to place collectively, entails scattering finely diced butter on every layers (which I simplified by melting), solely rubs garlic on baking dish (I exploit 2 entire cloves), and she or he makes use of much less cheese. Mine step by step advanced over time from her unique recipe to what mine is right this moment!
7. Vitamin assumes 10 servings.
Serving: 110gEnergy: 167cal (8%)Carbohydrates: 14.2g (5%)Protein: 5.7g (11%)Fats: 10g (15%)Saturated Fats: 6g (38%)Ldl cholesterol: 31mg (10%)Sodium: 281mg (12%)Potassium: 364mg (10%)Fiber: 2.1g (9%)Sugar: 1.6g (2%)Vitamin A: 300IU (6%)Vitamin C: 23.1mg (28%)Calcium: 160mg (16%)Iron: 0.7mg (4%)
Au Gratin Potatoes recipe initially printed December 2014. New images, recipe video and up to date submit in December 2018, then some tidying up executed in December 2020. No change to recipe!
Feed your potato obsession
Lifetime of Dozer